Things to Know When Climbing with Kids at Sender One
We are so excited to welcome kids into Sender One and the world of climbing! But first, we would love to go over some guidelines and FAQ’s to ensure that every climber in the gym is having a fun and safe experience.
Please note that climbers ages 13 and under must make a reservation for Kids Hours in order to climb at the gym (exceptions apply). Check out our Kids Hours page for more information!
SAFETY GUIDELINES & GYM ETIQUETTE
Bouldering is a very specific type of climbing in which there are no ropes involved. This means that climbers take a lot of unexpected falls. If other guests in the gym are not paying attention to their surroundings, it could result in serious injury. We recommend that kids are ages 6 or over to try bouldering.
It is extremely important that parents and guardians follow these safety guidelines while their child(ren) climb:
- All kids under the age of 14 need a parent or guardian in the facility at all times
- Parents/Guardians must stay within 6 feet of their child at all times
- We have a strict 2:1 ratio policy: There needs to be one adult present for every two kids in the facility
- Everyone needs to have a waiver completed prior to climbing on the walls (even if you are not climbing)
Please make sure that your child(ren) abide by the following rules and etiquette:
- Be courteous to others around you
- Look out for climbers when walking by a wall or starting a climb
- Absolutely NO running, roughhousing, tumbling, or yelling
- Absolutely NO climbing under/over or too close to other people (if you can touch the person climbing next to you, you are too close!)
These rules are necessary to help keep everyone as safe as possible and they apply to everyone in the facility. If more than two warnings have to be issued to a parent/guardian, the family’s climbing time may be cut short and they will politely be asked to come back another day.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is Sender One for kids?
Yes! As long as there is an adult present to keep an eye on the child(ren) to make sure they are following the rules, kids are definitely welcome. Check out our Kids Hours above for more information on when kids are able to join us at the gym.
How old do kids have to be to climb?
There is no age limit for climbers! All kids ages 13 and under need to be accompanied by an adult and visit during Kids Hours, with a few exceptions. Anyone ages 5 and under can climb for free with one paying adult climber. Learn more about Kids Hours.
Does Sender One Playa Vista have a Sender City?
Unfortunately, this location does not offer a Sender City or rope climbing. However, you can book a Sender City session at our nearby location, Sender One LAX.
Do you have any climbing classes for kids?
We do! We are currently running Climbing Academy, an 8-week series led by our Sender One coaches. Climbers meet once a week with their coach and learn the foundations of climbing. Climbing Academy is a prerequisite for our youth teams, so once they finish Climbing Academy they’ll be able to move up to one of our Rec Teams! Learn more about Climbing Academy.
If you are interested in more Youth Program offerings or camps you can visit our nearby location, Sender One LAX.