Words by Lauren Irvine and photos by Crystal Tan
Want to be among the first to scale Sender One LAX’s soaring rope walls? Members, mark your calendars: starting this weekend, October 15-16, from 10am-4pm, we’ll be hosting the first of our exclusive climbing previews atop LAX’s soon-to-be-legendary 60’ walls.
Whether you’re just looking to test the terrain on top rope or aim for first ascents on lead, these climbing previews will provide a tantalizing taste of all that Sender One’s newest location has to offer.
Although climbing will be limited, head setter Moses and his crew will have 20-30 complete routes open for top rope and lead in time for the first preview–some routes offer up to 85’ of climbing!–with more being added each week.
If you’re already reaching for your rope, here’s what you need to know:
- You must be a Sender One member or a member’s guest to attend. Day pass and punch card holders do not qualify for entry. Memberships will not be available to purchase at the event; visit our membership page to purchase one prior to the event.
- You must have a current electronic waiver on file (has been updated within the past year). If you’re not sure if your waiver is up to date, please fill one out here.
- You must have the respective Sender One belay certification for top rope and/or lead. But don’t worry if your harness is empty: we’ll be conducting belay checks for both at the event.
- If you want to lead, you will need a rope that is at least 50 meters in length.
- Be aware that Sender One LAX is still an open construction site. Along with loud noises and dust, there is no running water or locker rooms, and only porta potties will be available. Please come prepared!
Can’t make it this weekend? This is just the beginning: we’ll have previews every weekend in October, and with new routes in the works, there’s plenty incentive to keep coming back. If you have any questions about the event, email [email protected] or call us at (714) 881-3456.
We can’t wait to see you make the first marks on our shiny new walls–climb on!