Words and Photos by Crystal Tan
Bouldering League is back! We are super excited to be hosting this 6-week bouldering battle royale as it is one our favorite competitions to have. This isn’t just any bouldering competition, it is a TEAM competition with a format that scores progress, not just prowess. Any level of climber has the chance to be part of the winning team! Who will win the championship belt (yes,there is an actual belt) and be the Fall 2016 Bouldering League Champions?! Sign-ups will continue throughout the first week of competition.
Here’s how to sign-up:
1. Build your team
Each team will consist of 5 people. Don’t forget to pick a team name!
2. Register at the Front Desk
Cost: $100/team or $20/person
Sign-up at the Front Desk or online here.
The cost includes the choice of a free t-shirt or tank top and entry into a weekly raffle for free day passes (full team attendance required to qualify).
3. Pick your division
Teams elect to compete in the Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday division (all teams compete against each other despite different climbing days).
Please read this FAQ as we’ve made some changes:
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
– Either online or at the Front Desk; please pay your dues as soon as possible.
– $100/team ($20/person) If you are not a member of Sender One you must either use a Punch Pass, Day Pass or Guest pass.
NUMBER OF TEAMMATES?
– Five. The top four member’s scores are recorded.
NO TEAM, BUT WANT TO COMPETE?
– You may sign-up as a free agent. We will assign you a team.
PICKING A NIGHT TO COMPETE.
– Team can choose from THREE nights, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. Your team will choose one night to climb, and that will be your night to climb throughout the competition until finals week.
Finals week will consist of only one day of competing, Thursday October 20th 4pm-9pm.
– No substitues.
SPLIT-DAYS/CLIMBING ON DIFFERENT DAYS?
– No. At least try your very best not to split your teams up. Your team will be entered in a weekly raffle if attendance is 100% on the climbing day your team chooses.
– Attendance is not mandatory; only the scores of 4 people from each team will count. However, not attending will not benefit your team.
– Scoring is normalized by your handicap, which may be adjusted during the competition…DO NOT try sandbagging (low-balling your handicap), you will be caught and handicap bumped. Besides, the grades are blind this time. Muaha!
Select your handicap as the highest average grade accomplished during past bouldering sessions. Flashing will earn you extra points, and climbing harder than your handicap will also give you a higher score. Essentially, pick your legitimate handicap, climb your hardest, and have fun!
*Notice: grades will not be presented during climbing nights and the scoring is weighted progressively more each week.
DO FIRST WEEK SCORES COUNT THIS TIME?
– Yes, yes they do.
HOW MANY NIGHT OF CLIMBING DURING FINALS WEEK?
– Only one. Thursday, October 20th from 4-9pm. Award will be around 9:30pm.
EXTRA STUFF YOU MIGHT WANT TO KNOW
– We will be having weekly raffles! If you team has full attendance that week, your team name will be entered into a raffle for a chance to get something cool!
– Each participant has a choice between a t-shirt or a tank top!!
– Prizes are given out finals night for best team name and best team plaque design.
– This is a friendly (AND REALLY FUN) competition, so try hard and enjoy yourself!
For updates of scores and to view photos from the competition, follow our Bouldering League Facebook page!
Words by Crystal Tan & Michael Doan
Here at Sender One, we value our members and the growing community we climb with. We thought it would be a great idea to start having a featured member each month! You can nominate yourself or someone you think deserves to be featured. Each featured member will get 4 punch passes that never expire and can be used for a friend! A nomination form can be found on the Community Board in the hallway.
The featured member for the month of August went to Michael Doan! Below is a little Q&A with Michael about climbing, yoga, and life outside of the gym.
Photo by Crystal Tan
Why do you love climbing and/or yoga?
“All my life I’ve been into physical activities and involved in team sports like track and water polo. After college, I couldn’t compete or be involved anymore so I started weight lifting. Weight lifting became repetitive and boring, so I found climbing! I love climbing because it is a game/puzzle to me and you get to meet so many people. It is an individual activity, but at the