It’s November 15th, and it’s not just your average Monday because it’s time to celebrate America Recycles Day! But this year Sender One isn’t just celebrating for the day, we are celebrating all month long.
What is America Recycles Day?
It's a national holiday dedicated to promoting recycling. The E.P.A (Environmental Protection Agency) promotes this holiday due to the many benefits of recycling:
- Reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators
- Conserves natural resources such as timber, water and minerals
- Increases economic security by tapping a domestic source of materials
- Prevents pollution by reducing the need to collect new raw materials
- Saves energy
- Supports American manufacturing and conserves valuable resources
- Helps create new well-paying jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries in the United States
For our month-long celebration, we're providing ways to play our part in this national holiday and global cause.
At all Sender One locations you’ll find recycling bins available throughout the gym. To strengthen our recycling knowledge, we’ve added info posters on the bins for quick reference on what you can recycle to help reduce waste!
While you're climbing at the gym, you may come across the perfect opportunity to add one of these to the recycle bin:
- Yerba Mate, Health-Ade, and Voss Water Glass Bottles
- Proud Source Water, Redbull, & Starbucks Nitro Brew Aluminum Cans
- Muscle Milk, Gatorade, & Tropicana Juice Plastic Bottles
- SendBlend & CRUXGRIP Liquid Chalk Plastic Containers (Rinse First!)
At all Sender One Climbing gyms we are collecting retired ropes for an upcycling project that will support fundraising for the Animal Wellness Foundation. If you aren’t sure where the collection bin is at your gym, ask a staff member!
The retired ropes that you donate will be cleaned, cut, and turned into dog leashes so they can be reused by our furry companions! If you’re interested in helping us assemble these leashes, stay tuned for volunteer sign ups in our newsletter later this month.
The finished leashes will be sold at the all Sender One Climbing gyms and 100% net proceeds donated to the Animal Wellness Foundation. The Animal Wellness Foundation is a large advocate for the animal wellness movement and supports the cause in the following ways:
- Raising funds for companion animals of low-income families and for the housing and rehabilitation of homeless animals.
- Rescuing & fostering animals found in situations of abuse, neglect or abandonment, as well as in city and county shelters.
- Funding spay, neuter, and vaccination programs so every animal in their care receives the medical treatment they need.
- Supporting animal protection policies at the federal level, getting veterinary experts to the frontline of the animal protection movement.
Take a few minutes of your day to reflect on your current recycling habits - you may already be recycling in more ways than you think!
Consider if there’s an opportunity to introduce one or more new ways to recycle this month to build a habit of it year-round.
If you need some inspiration on ways to introduce more recycling habits into your day to day, check out these accessible options:
- Bring a reusable bag to the grocery store
- Buy rechargeable batteries
- Print paper double-sided or reuse misprinted papers to make notepads
- Bring a reusable mug to your coffee shop
- Flatten cardboard boxes so that you can fit more into your bin.
- Most metallic items can be recycled, such as empty spray cans and tin foil, plus empty soda, fruit, vegetable and other food cans.
- Stop by your local recycling center and drop off anything that was not picked up by your curbside service.
- To help your recycling center keep down foul odors, wash food waste off of food containers before recycling.
- Bring your own food to the office in a reusable container to reduce packaging waste.
- Save office supplies by keeping your markers, pens and glue sticks in a clean dry space as heat makes them dry out.
- Reuse office supplies: use newspapers to wrap things for the mail instead of bubble wrap or use paper clips instead of staples.
- Use email for most memos and office communications.
- Convert old sheets, towels and clothing into wash rags
- Repurpose glass jars as storage containers
- Buy second hand furniture